CUSTOM SIGNALS is closed until further notice.
As of August 1, 2018, I will be closed for a detailed inventory in preparation to sell the business. I turned 72 in July and can no longer do the work necessary to keep this going.
One of the problems is that many of the business owners are older and want to retire. I am one who falls into that category. I was hoping that the business would have been passed on and I would be retired by now, but it just didn't work out. I have met with a couple of potential buyers, but no success in selling the business.
You have probably noticed that other Model Railroad businesses, such as Weaver, have also been closing. Atlas bought out BMLA closing their doors. I just noticed that the Tomar Industries O-scale products are almost completely sold out. NJI has some unique O-scale signals, but not the variety of signals and electronics necessary to complete a system.
As model railroaders, we know that we should purchase many items when they are offered. The major manufacturers are now producing BTO (Built to Order) products that must be ordered and purchased at that time or they may never be available again. This will be the time to invest in signals like the other BTO products. Even if you are not ready, now is the time for customers to invest in their signal systems.
The business offers 5 sequential sources of income:
- SELLING PRODUCTS: Selling signals, electronics and supplies to a customer to install the system. Besides the signals, all the additional supplies come from USA suppliers and are currently available. A complete list of suppliers will be passed on the purchaser of the business. Giving the customer the convenience of purchasing all the needed supplies from me is a win-win situation.
- SIGNAL PLANNING: Doing signal planning for the customers. From a scale diagram of the layout, I assign signal blocks, turnout numbers, signal models and their location. The web site also has complete information so that the customer can do this for themselves. I charge for this service. http://www.customsignals.com/plan-layout.php
- CIRCUIT BOARD PLANNING: Doing circuit board planning for the customers. This shows how to arrange the circuit boards and wire them together. The web site also has complete information so that the customer can do this for themselves. I charge for this service.
- CIRCUIT BOARD WIRING: Once the circuit board planning is complete, I will mount and wire up the circuit boards on the pre-drilled panel boards. I also charge for this service.
- SYSTEM INSTALLATION: Signal system installations. I can travel to a layout to install the finished product. I currently charge $50/hr or $400/day for this service plus all related expenses.
If you or anyone you know is interested in getting into the model RR business, please send them my way. Maybe you know someone that is in the same position I was 18 years ago. I retired early from teaching and needed something to bridge over to Social Security. It worked out very well for me and it could for you.
The new buyer will also get access to all my suppliers. This will give that person access to trains and layout supplies at wholesale prices. You could save thousands of dollars just building your own layout.