The YARD TRACK CONFIGURATIONS (Library F) are different than the rest of the Library. You will notice that there is one double headed signal at the entrance to the yard that "looks" down each of the yard tracks as the turnouts change positions. For example, as you enter the yard and the turnouts are set for Yard Track 3:
1. If Track 3 is occupied, then the entrance signal will show a R/R for STOP. Engineer will need permission to enter.
2. If Track 3 is NOT occupied and the turnout at the other end is set against Track 3, then the entrance signal will show Y/Y for APPROACH SLOW.
3. If Track 3 is NOT occupied and the turnout at the other end is set clear for Track 3, then the entrance signal will show Y/G for APPROACH MEDIUM.
4. If Yard Track is occupied, then the entrance signal will display red/red and permission from the dispatcher will be required.
Although double headed signal does not tell the engineer exactly which track the train is to proceed (dispatcher's job), it will tell the engineer the status of track route. Turnout direction should be displayed on the control panel.
There will be a single dwarf on each end of the yard track for each exit direction. As you exit the yard and the turnouts are changed for the exit, the signal system will look through all the turnouts until the exit route reaches the next signal. For example, if you want to exit Yard Track 3:
1. If any one of the turnouts are not set for clear exit from Yard Track 3, the dwarf will show R or STOP.
2. If all of the turnouts are set for a clear exit from Yard Track 3 up to the next signal and the next signal displays a green or yellow, then the dwarf will display a Green or SLOW CLEAR.
3. If all of the turnouts are set for a clear exit from Yard Track 3 up to the next signal and the next signal displays a red, then the dwarf will show Y or SLOW APPROACH.
4. As the train exits the yard, the exit signal will change to Red to show the the exit is occupied.
Wiring the yards using this method will only require one dwarf for each turnout.
Keep in mind that the dwarfs will not display the direction of each individual turnout. This should be displayed on your control panel. The signal will react to turnout direction as well as block occupancy.
If you wish, the dwarfs can be wired for turnout direction only. This will require additional dwarfs.
If you have any further questions, e-mail or call Custom Signals.