5 MOUNTING AND WIRING THE PCBs TO THE PRERILLED PANEL BOARD (PPB)
The next part of the installation of the signals system is mounting, wiring and connecting the PCBs on the PPB. Once the circuit board plan is completed, you will have to mount the PCBs and wire them together. Each of the circuit illustrations in the TCL is based on mounting the PCBs to one of the PPBs offered by Custom Signals. This does not mean that you can’t supply your own mounting board and do it yourself, but my PPB will save you time by having all the mounting holes, wire holes, screws and spacers supplied for the project. These boards are offered in a variety of sizes depending on your needs. Standard sizes are from 1 ft. by 1 ft. to 2 ft. by 4 ft. in 1 ft. intervals. As you check the TCL, keep in mind that each PCBs will require about 3” of vertical space on the PPB. Each vertical column of PCBs will require about 3” of horizontal space on the PPB. Even though that means every square foot of PPB will hold about 16 PCBs, I recommend that the arrangement of PCBs in the TCL be followed. This will take a little more space, but make the assembly easier. I can make a recommendation for the best size PPB once the circuit plan is completed. For more information on wiring the PPB, go the the Wiring Section.
COST: If you wish to have Custom Signals mount and wire the PPB, I can do that here and ship the completed board to your location. I will connect the basic parts of the system including:
3. DETECTION (Din)
4. TURNOUTS (SW) wires.
Each of these will terminate at a bus connector on the board for you to connect to the corresponding part from the layout. Each of the signal target IDs will be labeled on the corresponding PCB. The cost of this service is $75 per square foot of PPB (including the wire) plus the cost of all the other parts.
Optional connections include:
5. APPROACH LIGHTING switch connected to all BSC boards will be an additional $12 per sq. ft. This will include any Ain wires necessary.
6. Each TUMBLE-DOWN SIGNAL CONTROL Board (TDC) will be an extra $5 per signal block.
7. Each SURFACE MOUNTING JACK to connect one PPB to another PPB will be an extra $15 per Jack.
8. Each GRADE CROSSING FLASHER (GCF) will be an extra $15 per GCF.
9. Each NESTED WIRING FOR OVERLAPPING DETECTION wiring will be an extra $20 per PCB.
9. Each BLOCK SIGNAL FLASHER (BSF) Board will be $15 per PCB.
All PCBs and parts will be extra.
Contact Custom Signals for a more detailed estimate.
Below is part of the completed PPB for our sample layout.